Friday, July 8, 2011

Matt and Jennifer's Beach Day & Rum Shack

Tuesday Matt and I took the kids to school and had a day just for the two of us.. Matt & Jennifer's Day of Fun. We got an early start and went down to the beach for a few hours. As much as I love taking the kids, it was nice to go and lay out and just relax. We swam a bit, walked the shoreline, engaged in adult conversations, and most importantly spent time just the two of us.
After the beach we went to our favorite place on the beach for burgers and drinks. Next to the restaurant, they built a new tiki bar called The Rum Shack. We went over there just to check it out and have a drink, one drink turned into a few. It was such a nice view, gorgeous day, and great company, it was very easy to sit there and have strawberry piƱa coladas, frozen mojitios, and Mi Tai's. After a few rounds, we walked across the street and laid out on the beach for a bit more. Then we headed down to the Strand (the historical shopping district) and bought more stuff for Colin's upcoming surfer room and had a few more drinks. Before we knew it, it was almost 4pm, time to head back to get the kids.
It was a very nice relaxing day, just what we needed. It has been very important to us to have Matt & Jennifer time. We feel to build a strong foundation for our family, our relationship must stay strong also. A co-worker told me last year after being married almost 30 years, they were getting a divorce. That once the kids moved out, they didn't know each other any longer. Their whole lives revolved around the kids, they became parents but were no longer friends. They never did things together anymore. I never want that to happen to Matt & I. He truly is my best friend and I want to make sure throughout the years that we still dedicate time to each other and our relationship. Life gets crazy between kids, work, activities, and of course the added stress over Colin's health issues. I want to make sure I dedicate time to my kids AND my husband to keep our family strong.

1 comment:

sunshine said...

Okay, twist my arm. We will go there when we return in the fall.