After checking in, many doctors came to look at Colin. He was so good for each of them and after each one, he would gather up his toys and say "We go home now, I done?" Poor sweet child had no idea what we were really there for. At 8:30am, we gave Colin some sleepy medicine to relax him, boy it did the trick, he was very very relaxed. I have to admit I cried seeing him that way, I don't know why, but it just breaks my heart to see him so drugged up. Then came time for the doctors to take him back. more kisses, hugs, and tears.
|Waiting for the doctors to come see us, in a good mood so far|
|After the sleepy medicine took effect.|
They took him back a little after 9am and he was done with the cath at 12:30pm. A lot of that time is getting him under, getting the IV and lines in. We got to see him in recovery at 1:30pm. The requirement to go home was to eat and keep it down. He drank 6 boxes of apple juice and had some pizza and chicken strips, kept it down, so we were on our way out!
They put a cath in his groin and in his neck so they could get good views from all angles of his heart.
SO THE BIG NEWS- WHAT THE CATH WAS ALL ABOUT
- Colin is a candidate for the Fontan surgery (GREAT NEWS.. this was my biggest fear is that he would not qualify for the last surgery)
- The heart cath doctor felt that Colin could wait 6 months to a year for the fontan and will make that recommendation to the team. Our cardiologist thought it would be about 2 months from now. But the cath doctor thinks Colin's heart looks so good that he could wait to get a little bigger.
- It will be up to his surgical team to decide on when the next surgery will be, we should hear a timeline in the next few weeks.
- Colin's oxygen saturation's were really good, high 80's.
- All measurements and pressure of his heart looked good.
- They did not have to balloon his pulmonary artery like they thought they would have to , the blood flow looked fine enough.
- They had to coil one collateral vessel. This means Colin's body formed a collateral vessel to help with his poor blood flow, but it was competing with his other ones where they want the blood to flow, so they coiled it (put a metal block so the blood will not flow through it). It is very common with children with heart defects, so this was not a surprised that he needed one coiled.
SO THE NEXT STEP.... we wait to hear from surgical scheduling on when the Fontan will be. Looks like 2 months to a year is the possibility now depending on what the team thinks after the results from the cath.
|Reading a book with daddy in recovery|
|Eating ice cream for breakfast the next morning|