Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Time to get out your walking shoes.. Team Colin is on the move!

Time to get out your walking shoes.. Team Colin is on the move!

This will be our 4th year walking in the It's My Heart Annual Heart Awareness walk. Over the last 3 years, Team Colin has raised about $13,000 to support families with children diagnosed with Congenital Heart Defects.

1 in 100 babies will be born with some type of Congenital Heart Defect. It is the #1 birth defect worldwide. Congenital Heart Defects are the #1 cause of birth defect related deaths. Each year 100,000 babies (under 1 year old) will not live to celebrate their first birthday.

Of course the passion behind the team is Colin.. My son is 1 in 100 born with a CHD. He is currently awaiting his 3rd and hopefully last open heart surgery this summer right after his 4th birthday. As a parent, I cannot even begin to explain what it means to have a child with only half a functioning heart but I will try.

- Blessed – We are blessed that Colin is still here with us today. Over the years, I have seen too many children with Colin's condition not make it to their next birthday. This year we are walking in honor of Addison Scott, our heart friend who lost her battle with HLHS just a few weeks shy of her 4th birthday. She is a reminder that life is too precious.

- Terrified – Coming upon Colin's next surgery, I am scared of the "what if's" What if this happens, what if the surgery doesn't take, what if after all this he still might need a heart transplant one day. I am afraid of his heart failing one day, I am scared how this affects Katherine. I am scared that he will be teased as a kid for being smaller. I am afraid that one day a girl will break his heart because she won't want to deal with the "what if's". I am terrified that one day my son won't be here with us.

- Hopeful – Medical technology has come a LONG way. Even though the oldest person with Colin's condition is early 30's, the medical field has advanced so much in the last 30 years. I have so much HOPE when I look into his face.Even though Colin only has 1/2 a functioning heart.. he LOVES to swim, fish, hike, run, play, loves boats, "surfing". HE IS FULL OF LIFE.

- Strong - Colin has taught me so much about strength (his, my own, and my family’s), love, and what really matters in life. He has taught me how special my family is and how precious life really is. Every day brings a new day of hope and thankfulness. We do not let this keep us down for our strength grows out of our weaknesses! 

- Supported – I know I need my support system to lean on. We cannot do it alone. We have a great network of family, friends, other heart parents, and co-workers that help.

This is what the walk is about, that support system. For those to come and celebrate Colin, his strength, his journey, his future with our family. To all walk with our heads up high that even though Colin will have struggles, he is LOVED by so many. And all these people will be there to support him. And to have fun doing it

The walk will feature the following fun-filled activities
- 5K Walk for all ages.
- Post-walk entertainment: Live music and performances.
- Post walk family oriented activities such as, face painting, raffles, bounce castles, rock walls, gyro rides and more.
- FREE food!
- Creative Sponsor booths with additional activities.

DATE & TIME: Saturday Feb. 9 at 9:30am at 900 Bagby Street Downtown Houston

To join the team, please click here http://events.itsmyheart.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.team&teamID=5218
and select the "Join this team" button at the of the page. When registering select, Join a Team, and select Team Colin. The entry fee is $25 for adult, free for kids.

If you are not able to join us, but would like to still donate, please click here http://events.itsmyheart.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=donorDrive.participant&participantID=4251

Colin right after his 2nd open heart surgery, he was 5 1/2 months old

1 comment:

sunshine said...

I am going to have to get in shape to keep up with Colin :). He is an inspiration to all of us; his enthusiasm for life and fun; his smile whether it is out of sweetness or mischievousness reminds us all to treasure what is the simple, most purest in life.