Sunday, September 13, 2009

Surgery Date Change and Roller Skating





We started the weekend thinking we would be heading to the hospital on Sunday to check in for surgery. Matt and I got up Saturday morning and started our errands when Matt got the call that Colin's surgery has been pushed back to Thursday September 17, my dad's birthday. There is a heart baby that is need of his surgery on Monday or they don't think he will do well if not.
I have to admit at first I was very upset. When we went in to clinic last Tuesday, the cardiologist saw a decrease in Colin's heart function and was glad his surgery was less than week, she said we were going to be on the no "bump" list since Colin is ready for surgery. He has been struggling with weight gain, which is a side effect of the decrease in his heart function. Plus it is mentally draining to prepare for another heart surgery, I was just really happy it was time and we can move on.
Saturday when the surgical team called, she said our surgeon looked at Colin's test from Tuesday and feels that though his function has decreased, he is still doing well, his oxygen sats have been fine.
Then I realized how blessed we are that Colin is doing so good that his surgery can wait a few days and there is a baby just like him that can not. I started to think about if that was my baby who was in need right away. It put a lot in perspective for me. I am so thankful for Colin's health and wish this other baby and his family all the best.
So now it will be on Thursday, we check into TCH at 8:00am Wednesday morning.
This weekend Colin has been sitting up on his own for about 20-30 seconds at a time before he tumbles over. He is advancing so well. They told us though after surgery not to worry that he might degress some. But I think he will come home working on sitting up still!!

Today just to get out of the house for a little while, Russell, Lara, and me took Katherine roller skating for the first time. Matt has not been feeling well this weekend, so he stayed home to rest. Katherine at first was a little scared of it, but she got out there and did really well and ended up liking it a lot. We even did the Hokey Pokey out there! I have a feeling we will be doing this a lot for the next 10 years! She was doing better than some of the kids bigger than her.

2 comments:

Elaine said...

That is the same day as Dad's surgery. Yall will definately be in our thoughts and prayers. You are blessed that it can wait a few days, but I understand the initial fustration. The Great Physician will keep them both in his hands Thursday. Love yall!

Lisha said...

We're thinking about y'all! See you at TCH in just a few short days!